Wednesday, December 22, 2010

His Lavish Love and Cardboard Testimonies

My pastor’s wife, a good friend and sister in the family of God, always refers to God’s love for us as “His lavish love”. I looked up the word, “lavish” and discovered it is of French origin. The verb is first recorded in the 1540’s. It’s origins are the word “laver” – to wash and “lavache” a torrent of rain.

Advent is the time when we are reminded of God’s infinite – immeasurable, unending love for us in sending His Son to restore us to a right relationship with Him. Jesus is the ultimate gift, freely given, freely received.

God’s gift of life is only received by some because only some ask. The Good News needs to be heard by everyone, and we are the messengers. It’s a privilege to share the story, over and over again. In particular, it’s a special privilege for each of to share our own story of how we met the Savior.

A few weeks ago at the church where my brother and sister in law are pastors, there was a service in which many in the congregation briefly shared their testimonies. Each of them wrote a brief synopsis, just a few words about how they had come to know the Lord, or who they understood themselves to be before meeting Him. Their stories were written on large pieces of cardboard – “cardboard testimonies”! Many of the people, I knew. I thought I knew who they were, but I discovered the transforming power of meeting Jesus all over gain through their brief, “cardboard testimonies”.



 I can tell you the time, I can take you to the place
 where the Lord saved me by His wonderful grace.

 I would love to hear your story of how and when and where you met Jesus!

Lord Jesus, we come to You this day asking for more of You. Fill us with Your Presence, wash us clean from our sins, and set us on the right path for life. Thank you for the gift of Your Holy Spirit which we have received from You so that we may be filled with Your love and grace, and will then abound in every good work. Let us be Your messengers in a world that needs to know how to receive the greatest gift of all. Let is be so, Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment